Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Love of A Mother Epsi's Take

When I take a moment and reflect, there is not much that I missed growing up in a single parent home. Yeah,there may have been that male role model missing that everyone talks about. Yet when I look at how I turned out, my mother did an incredible job raising me alone. I know how to relate to women with a dignity and respect that many dual parent kids sometimes may not share. These kids may take their mom for granted. For me, however, seeing the work and effort my mother put made me appreciate the strength of a woman.

My mom and countless others put the weight of their family on their backs. She raised me without help. She worked and participated at school, and battled a few demons on her own. All of this and I came out a surprisingly decent human being. Her work makes me appreciate and treat women with a dignity that many men do not see appreciate.A second reason that I did not have expereince my mother and father breaking up. Some parents stay together for the kids. That makes home life difficult. I did not have to see my mother and father argue. There was no awkward divorce. No wondering why Daddy does not stay with us. No getting acclimated to new spouses. With my mother leaving my father very early in my life, I did not have any of those negative experiences. I am glad. That is something that no child should experience

Now I am not saying that the optimal condition for raising a child is a single family home. What I am saying is that I do not feel deficient. I do not feel as if I am incomplete. The wholeness of my humanity was fulfilled by mother. She made sure I learned all the lessons necessary in order to make it. I appreciate her for that too. I am whole because of her.

I don't say " I love you" because the way I feel is greater

-Epsi

No comments: